Congressman Doug Lamborn invites college students and recent graduates with ties to Colorado's Fifth District to apply for the 2017 Congressional Leadership Program. This unique opportunity gives students an opportunity to witness the legislative process firsthand and become involved in a dynamic congressional office for the duration of the summer. Whether you are hoping to launch your career in public service, or you are looking to gain insight into the process of governing, this opportunity will give you a fresh perspective and lasting memories.
The application process is competitive, so please read through all of the instructions below. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the Washington, D.C. office.
Congressional Leadership Program participants are held to a high standard of professionalism and expected to be responsible, focused, self-motivated, enthusiastic, and driven. CLP Participants will have the opportunity to serve and communicate with the constituents of Colorado’s 5th District, as well as observe the legislative process and work side by side with full-time congressional staffers. The unique perspectives and insights gained through the CLP program are invaluable.
Applicants must have completed at least one full year of college-level courses and be available to work full-time. We accept applications from all academic backgrounds. Strong writing skills, attention to detail, and flexibility are a must. We appreciate interns with a general knowledge of politics and government. Applicants must have ties to Colorado's Fifth District in order to be considered for the Congressional Leadership Program. Although internships are unpaid positions, interns are treated as full participants in the Congressional office.
How do I apply?
Interested candidates should answer the following questions and attach a one-page resume for review. Please submit your questions and resume to CO05Internship@mail.house.gov along with your complete contact information. The application deadline for the Congressional Leadership Program is April 30th, 2017.
1. Please explain why you would like to participate in Congressman Lamborn’s Congressional Leadership Program for 2017. (Please respond in 250 words or less.)
2. Please respond to the following short-answer questions:
What is the biggest problem facing America today, and what is one way you would address it?
- Which three public figures hold political views most like your own? Why?
- Which public policy organizations are advocating policies most like your own?
- With what political philosophy do your views most align?
- What kind of background do you have? How did you become interested in government and politics?
- Drawing from your educational and professional experience, how would you demonstrate that you are capable of handling the responsibilities that accompany the CLP program?