Help with a Federal Agency

If you are having trouble getting a response from a federal agency, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, our office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Residents of the 5th Congressional District of Colorado can contact us for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies.

Please make sure to sign the authorization form upon submittal. 

Make sure to incliude all of the pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:

-Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;

-VA claim number for a case with the Department of Veterans Affairs;

-Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if for an individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;

-Your address, home phone number, and daytime phone number (if different than home), so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;

-Your Medicare/ Madicaid number for a case involving Medicare/ Medicaid;

-Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved.

Fill out our casework authorization form

If you have an issue wih the Department of State or USCIS, please call our office to get the correct form. 

Please Note:The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.